Monday, February 20, 2012

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

No, I'm not talking about Christmas (even though I am kind of a fanatic). I'm talking about the start of planting season! This week is when I ought to be getting my tomatoes and bell pepper started indoors. Though I'm not sure I'll actually be able to because I don't have any good soil to start them in and really hate to pay for dirt. It's kind of like paying for toilet paper. That kills me. Anyway, back to the plants, we've had such a warm winter I'm going to be wild and risky and plant a bunch of my spring stuff soon, too. Or at least some of it.  As for my indoor plants, if I can get my hands on some decent soil and the other materials, I might try this method:

But I really don't know if I can get my hands on some plastic containers and old TP rolls -- We keep a little toilet paper around for guests and clients, but not enough to start a bunch of seeds with the leftover rolls. But this would be nifty if I can gather the materials. If not I'll just buy plants later in the season like last year. I've never had much luck getting peppers or tomatoes started from seed anyway. Have you?

This spring I am hoping to plant:

Potatoes
Lettuce
Radishes
Garlic
Leeks
Onions
Salsify
Broccoli
Kale

I am especially excited about the potatoes. We planted some last year and I'm not kidding when I say that those were the best potatoes I've ever had in my life. This year I have my potato tower that I hope will give us many more potatoes than we had last year (that is not my potato tower in the photo; mine was made using a bunch of scrap wood so it looks pretty old and beat up, but should get the job done anyway!)
Source: tipnut.com via Megan on Pinterest

I just have to figure out what kind of potatoes I'm supposed to plant in a potato tower. Only certain varieties will continually set new fruit as the plants grow. So if I plant the wrong kind, having the tower will be completely pointless.

And then there is the issue of chickens! We meant to get some last year but time escaped us and we never did. I don't want to make that mistake again, because having 4 laying hens ought to provide us with most of our egg needs.

So there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment